The following are not actually old sayings, but sentences and sound bites that people have told me, that have stuck with me throughout the years.
1. Never try to teach a pig to sing; it's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig.
2. Money can't buy happiness, but the lack of it can bring misery.
3. No one has ever been argued into the Kingdom of God.
4. Those who've bragged the most have done the least.
5. No matter how much you make, your spending can easily match it.
6. Being a Christian does not mean committing intellectual suicide.
7. When you're hired for a job, it's not as a favor for you; it's because a company has a problem and they believe you're the solution to it.
8. Having good manners doesn't mean you think you matter more than other people, it's because you think other people matter more than you.